Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Is Skin Cancer Color Blind?



I'm packing my bags to head off to sunny South Beach, Miami.
Shades, check; Swimsuit, check; Sunscreen, CHECK!

Since skin cancer is the most common of all cancers, I make sure to use sunscreen/spf infused products liberally. Studies show that daily use of sunscreens can reduce your chances of developing some forms of skin cancer.
A few years ago, I noticed some discoloration and change in shape in a mole on my side. Since I learned about the various types of skin cancer in esthetics school, I was a bit worried. I had a biopsy and thank heavens, everything came back ok. But ever since, I make sure I protect my skin.

True or False: Fair skinned-people are the only ones subject to skin cancer resulting from damage from the sun?
False. Darker skin contains more melanin which is a natural skin protector factor (SPF) that helps keep the skin from burning. However, it only means that someone with a darker skin tone filters twice as much as someone with p
aler skin. It also means that the signs of skin cancer are harder to detect (irregularities in moles, abnomal growths on skin, etc.).
Skin cancer is a highly preventable disease, so why not do what you can to prevent it?
Regardless how light (or dark) your skin is, I urge you to use spf products regularly.

Please take a moment to read about signs and symptoms, etc and read this story Skin Cancer is Colorblind

When selecting a sunscreen, look for products with an SPF 15 or greater that blocks both UVA and UVB rays.









1 comment:

Urban Bushwoman said...

Thanks for the reminder! I'll get my sunblock this week. Black don't crack but it does burn.