Thursday, June 11, 2009

Waxing: Prep and After Care

Body waxing has increased in popularity in recent years. With bathing suit season in full swing, women are turning to waxing to clean the bikini line and other areas.
Many people who have never been waxed are extremely reluctant. While waxing isn't completely pain-free, there are ways to prepare yourself before going in.

Preparing for your appointment

1) Hair must be 1/4''-1/2'' long, or at least 3 weeks of growth. If your hair is too short the wax cannot grip the hair to pull it out. If your hair is too long, the hair will break and the service will be less comfortable. It is a good idea to shave three weeks before your appointment or trim your hair just prior to your appointment.

2) Depending on your tolerance for pain, it may be a good idea to take ibuprofen or use a numbing cream, like No Scream Cream.

3) In he days prior to your wax, prep the area to be waxed by exfoliating using a loofah or exfoliating glove and/or an exfoliating body wash. Exfoliating will open your hair follicles for hair removal.

After Care

1) I always tell my my clients to exfoliate after waxing to help prevent ingrown hairs. I recommend waiting at least 48 hours.

2) Exfoliation in conjunction with razor/hair bump solution will help to reduce/prevent ingrown hairs. In a previous post I featured MiN New York Razor Bump Treatment. I have used Tend Skin for years, but I just purchased Skin Tight Ladies Razor Bump Solution.

3) Avoid tight clothes, sun, chlorine, steam, hot water, deodorant and scrubs for about 12 hours after waxing. Some redness, small spots or bumps are normal but should subside in a few hours.

I swear by waxing and wouldn't have it any other way, from legs to underarms to bikini, it's coming off and I always love the results.






5 comments:

Urban Bushwoman said...

What about in the winter? Isn't it a little cold in the bikini world?

NicoleAlexis said...

:) I do this year round, just because I feel its a treat and I deserve it! I love how I look and feel when I do it, so I do it more for myself than anything else.

Kes said...

*high five* I started getting the hard wax and it's a little less painful.. you should try it!

Justine Cricks said...

You should also tell your patients to drink ibuprofen just to ease the pain they would feel after every waxing session. Another thing: Tell them that they shouldn't use any astringent or toner as these can tighten the pores and hold the hairs firmer. Tell them to reduce the acidity level as well, so that the skin won't be too sensitive. Drinking antacids can reduce acidity, so tell them to drink some if they can.

Justine Cricks

Owais Khan said...

Waxing is a form of hair removal that can leave your skin smooth and hair free for weeks. It is however important to look after your skin in between appointments to avoid the pitfalls of waxing. Best waxing salon in NYC