Saturday, February 14, 2009

The Skinny.

The Skinny (for men). Hot or NOT?

“I can’t wear skinny jeans ‘cause my knot don’t fit” says Jay-Z in T.I.’s “Swagger Like Us”.
In my opinion, even if all you have is pocket change, skinny jeans for men are NOT, I repeat, NOT HOT.
Despite what the runway and entertainment culture is telling us, the average guy (that’s you) cannot and should not try to pull this off. I was glad to learn during my daily email convo with the girls that they all agreed.
A very “distressed” (her word, not mine), Shon, started the “Thought of the Day” with “Skinny jeans…Hot or Not? For regular men, not celebs”. The outpour of disapproving comments began:

Me: Not feeling it at all. Now, that does not mean they have to be falling off one’s behind either. There is a happy medium. Please find it!

Shon: I am noticing an alarming and disturbing trend and someone needs to set these men straight. First of all, they need to know that skinny jeans should not be junk-revealing. Nor should they cut off the circulation at your ankles…you should not see the entire outline of a man’s leg through his jeans—that is just wrong. Most men should stay away from skinny altogether as it is expert level difficulty to pull off.

Funny, but oh so true.

Nae chimes in: Just because it’s a fashion trend doesn’t mean it’s for everyone. If kilts become trendy will we have to look forward to men wearing skirts?

Thanks to my bff, Alli, here’s a rule of thumb- a man’s jeans should be one size larger than his dress pants.

There is a thin line between a finely fitted pair of jeans and a pair that could be mistaken for spandex. Whatever you do, don’t cross it!

Guys, here are a few questions you should ask yourself before considering this trend.
Should my jeans really be clinging onto my legs like spandex?
Am I risking infertility to follow a trend that has gone horribly wrong?
Should my jeans really be as tight as my girlfriend’s?
How long will it take me to get in/out of these things?
Will the world (and my groin) thank me if I don’t put these on?

At the end of the day, it’s all about personal preference. If you believe you are part of the small population of individuals who can pull this off and you can rest well with the answers to these questions, then by all means…skinny.

No comments: